My favorite thing about this Mason Jar Potpourri DIY is that who ever you give it to not only gets to enjoy how pretty it looks at but also gets to enjoy the yummy smell of the season when completing the recipe! Oh also, its super easy to do. I got this awesome free printable and recipe from Yellow Bliss Road and simply put a Shrink with Ink spin on it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the packaging:
- 8 oz.mason jar with lid
- 1 sheet NuFun Activites Shrink with Ink
- 1 sheet NuFun Activities Chalkboard Transfer Paper
- Chalk marker
- Jute or other string
- Oven or toaster oven
- Hole punch
For the Potpourri:
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Firstly, measure the yummy potpourri ingredients and plop them into the mason jar. Be sure to do this fairly soon before you plan on giving the gift, as the fresh ingredients won’t last forever.
- Secondly, grab the adorable free printable from Yellow Bliss Road and print fairly large on a sheet of Shrink with Ink. Because the colors will intensify after shrinking, be sure to increase the brightness of the print by at least 30%. Maybe you’re not sure how big to print the mason jar potpourri label? Always keep in mind that Shrink with Ink shrinks to about one third its original size!
- Cut around the border of the graphic and shrink in the oven according to the instructions.
- Punch a hole in the upper corner of the printed shrink with ink. Because the entire tag will shrink, the hole will get significantly smaller as well.
- Shrink according to the instructions.
- Thread string through hole in shrink tag and tie around mouth of jar.
- Cut circle the size of the mason jar lid out of NuFun Activities Chalkboard Transfer Paper and adhere to lid.
– You can either iron the chalk transfer onto the lid according to the instructions OR, simply leave the backing paper on the transfer paper and use the threaded lid section to hold it in place (that’s what I did). This works because chalkboard transfer paper behaves much like regular paper when it still has the backing paper attached!
– While I think the chalk lid adds a nice decorative detail, it is not necessary. Another great way to jazz up the lid if you don’t have chalk, is by using a small piece of burlap or fabric.
Finally, enjoy the gift of giving this adorable mason jar potpourri gift and maybe make one for yourself while you’re at it! As a result of your minimal effort and time investment you now look like the craftiest gift giver, and that is always fun.